Saturday 11 May 2013

The painful gospel message


From a testimony of  a dear brother in Christ, concerning his time in national service, during square bashing ...

There was one incident at the end of the six weeks training that I was there for. We had had six very hard weeks of marching and exercise and doing all those things we had to do to become a soldier first before we got back to our trade. Towards the end of the six weeks was over and everybody was so relieved, they were doing silly things, throwing things about the billet, having pillow fights and spraying people with a stirrup pump hose as they came in the door. One young fellow, fellow from London, I can still see him now. He was only a young, quite a small insignificant lad, he had got the hose, and somebody opened the door and he let them have it. He sprayed him with water, and it turned out to be the orderly sergeant!
To say he wasn't pleased was to put it very mildly. I can see him, he got him by the collar and he said “Lad I am going to teach you a lesson you will never forget.” He said” I am going to take you down the gymnasium, we are going to put boxing gloves on, and I am going to give you a beating you won't forget. The lad was terrified.  He literally was frightened, shaking he was. My friend John, the Christian lad came up, put himself between the sergeant and the little lad, and he said “ Sergeant , If you want to beat somebody pick somebody your own size I will come down and stand in his place.” He said I don’t care you are all as bad as each other."
So he took this lad , they went down the gymnasium.  John came back with black eyes, nose bleeding, tooth missing. All the lads in the billet crowded round him, and said” why on earth did you do that?”
And it was one of the most poinent Gospel messages I think I have ever heard. He preached the gospel to them and said somebody did something far, far more than that for me 2000 years ago. And he told the billet, all the men and they gathered round him and he preached that gospel to them and it was wonderful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment